English language training forum

Go Back   English language training forum > English Teaching Forum > Teach English

Old 12-29-2010, 01:37 AM

Поблагодарили 0 раз(а) в 0 сообщениях
Default Books for reading - recommendations

Hi ladies, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year *to all of you. I would like to ask you to recommend books for reading, in English of course. Thank you
Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 AM

Поблагодарили 1 раз в 1 сообщении

WHAT ABOUT WOULD YOU LIKE TO READ,SILVIA?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 AM

well, it could be anything but old literature, like some interesting novels, historical books, smth catchy and captivating. I began to forget the language and this anyones me a lot. At home I am talking my native language, at TV and when I am out, I am listening only Italian, and I realize that it is getting pretty difficult to switch to English when I need it:-(
Old 12-29-2010, 01:56 AM

Actually any of your suggestions in this matter would be greatly appreciated (F) (F) (F) (F) (F)
Old 12-29-2010, 02:14 AM

SILVIA,MY FAVOURITE WRITER IS SIDNEY SHELDON.I
ADORE HIM.THE MOST FAVOURITE BOOKS ARE:
1)IF TOMORROW COMES.
2.THE STARS SHINE DOWN.
3.RAGE OF ANGELS.
4.MASTER OF THE GAME(THE BEST IN MY OPINION)
5.THE BEST LAID PLANS.
6.NOTHING LASTS FOREVER.
7.THE SKY IS FALLING.
8.MORNING,NOON AND NIGHT.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:14 AM

I THINK YOU'LL LIKE HIM TOO.HE IS INCOMPARABLE.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:19 AM

AND MAYBE YOU'LL LIKE THE BOOKS OF DANIELLE STEEL.
FOR EXAMPLE:
NO GREATER LOVE.
HEARTBEAT
DADDY
STAR
SEASON OF PASSION
TO LOVE AGAIN
NOW AND FOREVER
PASSION'S PROMISE
SUMMER'S END
THE RING
LOVING
REMEMBRANCE
Old 12-29-2010, 05:52 AM

Thank you Ludmila(F)
Old 12-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Sidney Sheldon garnered international praise and recognition in four diverse fields. The winner of an Oscar® and a Tony®, Sheldon had over 200 television scripts, twenty-five major motion pictures, six Broadway plays, eighteen novels (which have sold over 300 million copies) and a memoir, THE OTHER SIDE OF ME, to his credit, ranking him as one of the world's most prolific writers.
Sidney Sheldon passed away on January 30, 2007. His wife, Alexandra, was by his side.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:46 PM

Sidney Sheldon's switch to novels from screenwriting came about almost by accident. He explains, "I had a story idea that was so introspective that you really had to know what the protagonist was thinking. I decided that the only way to write it was in the narrative form." Despite his fears of venturing into unknown territory, Sheldon wrote THE NAKED FACE, which he sold to William Morrow Company after being turned down by five different publishers. The book was a critical success and earned him an Edgar Award.
THE OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT, Sheldon's second novel, was a huge hit and firmly established him as a best-selling author. His subsequent works, including A STRANGER IN THE MIRROR, BLOODLINE, RAGE OF ANGELS, MASTER OF THE GAME, IF TOMORROW COMES, WINDMILLS OF THE GODS, THE SANDS OF TIME, MEMORIES OF MIDNIGHT, THE DOOMSDAY CONSPIRACY, THE STARS SHINE DOWN, NOTHING LASTS FOREVER, MORNING, NOON & NIGHT, THE BEST LAID PLANS, and TELL ME YOUR DREAMS have soilidified his position as one of the top best-selling authors alive today. With over 300 million books in print, Sheldon's novels are published in 51 languages in 180 countries worldwide.
THE OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT (1974)
Marking Sheldon's explosive debut on the bestseller lists, this novel held the then all-time New York Times record of 52 weeks on the charts. Frank Yablans produced a film version starring John Beck, Susan Sarandon and Marie France Pisier. A Main Selection of The Literary Guild.
RAGE OF ANGELS (1980)
Going to #1 on the bestseller lists the week before its official publication date, it stayed at the top for 18 weeks and on the lists for 42 weeks. A Main Selection of The Literary Guild.
MASTER OF THE GAME (1982)
Sheldon's sixth novel, a Main Selection of The Literary Guild, shot to the #1 position in its first week of publication, stayed there for 11 weeks and remained on the New York Times list for more than 40 weeks. The publication of the paperback version (with a million first printing) in the summer of 1983 made it a dominant presence on both soft and hardcover lists simultaneously.