English language training forum

Go Back   English language training forum > English Teaching Forum > Teach English

Old 12-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Поблагодарили 1 раз в 1 сообщении

Choose an idiom to replace the expression in the brackets:
1.There is a lot of (anger) between my friend and myself. (a) new blood (B) bad blood (C) flesh and blood (D) blood, sweat, and tears
2.The woman (refused to help) her son when he lost his job and needed some money. (a) turned her back on (B) sweat it out for (C) got off the back of (D) put her shoulder to the wheel for
3.When I saw the dead horse it (made me sick). (a) made my blood boil (B) scratched my back (C) turned my stomach (D) grated on my nerves
4.I cried out (as loud as possible) to stop the child from running into the street. (a) all in one breath (B) in the flesh (C) straight from the shoulder (D) at the top of my lungs
5.It was wet and cold out so when I returned home I was wet (throughout my body). (a) shoulder to shoulder (B) neck and neck (C) to the bone (D) behind my back
6.The woman is (trying her hardest) to finish painting her house before it rains. (a) breaking into a cold sweat (B) out for blood (C) getting under my skin (D) breaking her neck
7.My supervisor (suddenly became angry at me) when I was late for the meeting. (a) jumped down my throat (B) jumped out of her skin (C) took my breath away (D) risked her neck
8.There was a scandal in the company and the president quickly tried to (protect himself). (a) save his breath (B) save his neck (C) cut a fine figure (D) throw his weight around
9.The girl never eats and is (very skinny). (a) skin-deep (B) broad in the beam (C) skin and bones (D) a bundle of nerves
10.My friend never wants to (do anything extra or risky) to help others. (a) stick his neck out (B) get his back up (C) waste his breath (D) press the flesh
11.He is (hurting his own chances) if he does not take a training course with the other members of the group. (a) busting a gut (B) venting his spleen (C) thin-skinned (D) cutting his own throat
Old 12-03-2011, 04:28 PM

12.The man at the video store is (an obnoxious person). (a) a pain in the neck (b) a pat on the back (c) a stab in the back (d) a breath of fresh air
13.The other runners were (following closely behind me) during the marathon. (a) holding my breath (b) out of breath (c) breathing down my neck (d) sweating blood
14.He gave me (unfriendly treatment) when I saw him at the restaurant. (a) time to catch my breath (b) the cold shoulder (c) a bone of contention (d) a shoulder to cry on
15.I do not want to have his resignation from the company (as my responsibility). (a) off my chest (b) over my dead body (c) in my blood (d) on my shoulders
16.My father is always (pressuring me) to help him clean up the yard at home. (a) pulling his weight (b) splitting his sides with laughter (c) on my back (d) covering his back
17.The car at the showroom is (too expensive for me). (a) chilled to the bone (b) too rich for my blood (c) a kink in my neck (d) a millstone around my neck
18.The woman who I work with has many habits that (irritate me). (a) have my words stick in my throat (b) give me the shirt off her back (c) land in my lap (d) get on my nerves
19.The two boys were (fighting) all morning. (a) at each other's throats (b) back-to-back (c) soaked to the skin (d) head and shoulders above each other
20.I spent several days (adding details to) my proposal for the new children's playground. (a) saying something under my breath for (b) making a clean breast of (c) drawing blood for (d) putting flesh on
21.When I finally discovered that I had passed the university entrance exam I was able to (relax). (a) huff and puff (b) breathe easy (c) shoot from the hip (d) breathe my last
22.I was (very busy with) work last night so I could not go to a movie. (a) not breathing a word about (b) wetting my whistle with (c) up to my ears in (d) dead from the neck up with
Old 12-04-2011, 10:43 PM

(md)
Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 AM

Поблагодарили 0 раз(а) в 0 сообщениях

1.There is a lot of (anger) between my friend and myself. (a) new blood (B) bad blood (C) flesh and blood (D) blood, sweat, and tears
2.The woman (refused to help) her son when he lost his job and needed some money. (a) turned her back on (B) sweat it out for (C) got off the back of (D) put her shoulder to the wheel for
3.When I saw the dead horse it (made me sick). (a) made my blood boil (B) scratched my back (C) turned my stomach (D) grated on my nerves
4.I cried out (as loud as possible) to stop the child from running into the street. (a) all in one breath (B) in the flesh (C) straight from the shoulder (D) at the top of my lungs
5.It was wet and cold out so when I returned home I was wet (throughout my body). (a) shoulder to shoulder (B) neck and neck *to the bone (D) behind my back
6.The woman is (trying her hardest) to finish painting her house before it rains. (a) breaking into a cold sweat (B) out for blood (C) getting under my skin (D) breaking her neck
7.My supervisor (suddenly became angry at me) when I was late for the meeting. (a) jumped down my throat (B) jumped out of her skin (C) took my breath away (D) risked her neck
8.There was a scandal in the company and the president quickly tried to (protect himself). (a) save his breath (B) save his neck (C) cut a fine figure (D) throw his weight around
9.The girl never eats and is (very skinny). (a) skin-deep (B) broad in the beam (C) skin and bones (D) a bundle of nerves
10.My friend never wants to (do anything extra or risky) to help others. (a) stick his neck out (B) get his back up (C) waste his breath (D) press the flesh
11.He is (hurting his own chances) if he does not take a training course with the other members of the group. (a) busting a gut (B) venting his spleen (C) thin-skinned (D) cutting his own throat
Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 AM

12.The man at the video store is (an obnoxious person).
(a) a pain in the neck (B) a pat on the back (C) a stab in the back (D) a breath of fresh air
13.The other runners were (following closely behind me) during the marathon. (a) holding my breath (B) out of breath (C) breathing down my neck (D) sweating blood
14.He gave me (unfriendly treatment) when I saw him at the restaurant. (a) time to catch my breath (B) the cold shoulder (C) a bone of contention (D) a shoulder to cry on
15.I do not want to have his resignation from the company (as my responsibility). (a) off my chest (B) over my dead body (C) in my blood (D) on my shoulders
16.My father is always (pressuring me) to help him clean up the yard at home. (a) pulling his weight (B) splitting his sides with laughter (C) on my back *covering his back
17.The car at the showroom is (too expensive for me). (a) chilled to the bone (B) too rich for my blood (C) a kink in my neck (D) a millstone around my neck
18.The woman who I work with has many habits that (irritate me). (a) have my words stick in my throat (B) give me the shirt off her back (C) land in my lap (D) get on my nerves
19.The two boys were (fighting) all morning. (a) at each other's throats (B) back-to-back (C) soaked to the skin (D) head and shoulders above each other
20.I spent several days (adding details to) my proposal for the new children's playground. (a) saying something under my breath for (B) making a clean breast of (C) drawing blood for (D) putting flesh on
21.When I finally discovered that I had passed the university entrance exam I was able to (relax). (a) huff and puff (B) breathe easy (C) shoot from the hip (D) breathe my last
22.I was (very busy with) work last night so I could not go to a movie. (a) not breathing a word about (B) wetting my whistle with (C) up to my ears in (D) dead from the neck up with
Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM

проделана гигантская работа и не зря! она выполнена на 100% отлично! спасибо,маша!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM

1.The boy always comes to help his friends (very promptly) which is why everybody likes him. (a) dressed to kill (B) below the belt (C) under his belt (D) at the drop of a hat
2.It is time that we (make a big effort) and try to get this job done. (a) fill our shoes (B) keep our shirt on (C) buckle down (D) tighten our belts
3.The train was (full and very crowded) this morning. (a) off-the-cuff (B) bursting at the seams (C) decked out (D) flying by the seat of its pants
4.The woman was (dressed) in her best clothes when I saw her at the theater last night. (a) decked out (B) coming into fashion (C) filling her shoes (D) on a shoestring
5.The fact that my friend is the new class president is (something that he should be proud of). (a) on his coat-tails (B) a feather in his cap (C) talking through his hat (D) up his sleeve
6.Our boss always (shows his feelings openly) and everyone knows his problems. (a) wears his heart on his sleeve (B) wears the pants in his family (C) pulls up his socks (D) loses his shirt
7.Now that I have some job experience (in my possession) I will be able to look for a better job. (a) below the belt (B) burning a hole in my pocket(C) up my sleeve (D) under my belt
8.The man is a (very formal person) and nobody likes to invite him to a party. (a) wolf in sheep`s clothing (B) fine-tooth comb (C) stuffed shirt (D) bee in his bonnet
9.The student will have to (make a greater effort) if he wants to pass his exams. (a) pull up his socks (B) air his dirty linen in public (C) handle himself with kid gloves (D) put on his thinking cap
10."You should try and (calm down). It is not good to become angry." (a) roll up your sleeves (B) wear your heart on your sleeve (C) lose your shirt (D) keep your shirt on
11.The new supervisor has a reputation for being very mean so you will have to (treat her very gently). (a) fly by the seat of your pants (B) handle her with kid gloves (C) fit like a glove (D) fill her shoes
12.It will be very difficult to (take his place) as he is one of the best workers in our company. (a) die with his boots on (B) keep it under his hat (C) fill his shoes (D) pull up his socks
13."I do not want anyone to know when I will change jobs so could you please (keep it secret)." (a) keep it under your hat (B) roll up your sleeves (C) put the shoe on the other foot (D) keep your shirt on
Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM

14.My friend used to complain about having no money but now (the opposite is true) and it is me who has no money. (a) if the shoe fits wear it (B) you bet your boots (C) the shoe is on the other foot (D) at the drop of a hat
15.You really have to (respect the man). He always works hard and never misses a day of work. (a) handle the man with kid gloves (B) burn a hole in the man's pocket (C) talk through the man's hat (D) take your hat off to the man
Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 PM

1. d * * *2. c * * 3. b * * 4. a * * 5. b * * *6. a * * 7.d * * 8. c * *9.a * * 10.d * * 11.b * *12. c * * 13. a * * 14. c * * 15. d
Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 PM

YOU ARE BOTH RIGHT! THANK YOU.(lo)