English language training forum

Go Back   English language training forum > English Teaching Forum > English language training

Old 01-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Administrator

() : 1
0 () 0

Mr. Wharncliffe followed Mr. Turnbulls advice. I may as well tell the reader at once that Mr. Wharncliffes uncle agreed to the terms and even pretended to be glad that his nephew had found the box. The young people were married one month after the meeting at Mr. Turnbulls, which I have just described.

It was so late when we finished our discussion that night, that I had to put off my visit to the Drummonds until the next day. I left at about eleven oclock, and arrived there at noon. When I knocked at the door, a servant who did not know me, came out.

What do you want? he asked.

I want to speak with Mrs. and Miss Drummond, and my name is Faithful.

He told me to sit down in the hall, while he went up.

And wipe your shoes, my lad, he added.

I cannot say that I was pleased at this command. But he returned and told me to follow him.

I found Sarah alone in the drawing-room.

Jacob, Im so glad to see you, and Im sorry you were made to wait below. But if you want to be just a waterman, nobody is to blame.

Sarahs words upset me. However, I sat down by her, and we talked for some time.

I want to make you a present of a purse that I myself have made. You will put into it the money you earn, said Sarah laughing. Then she held up her finger and cried jokingly: Boat, Sir! Boat, Sir! Well, Jacob, theres nothing like independence, and you must not. mind my laughing at you.

I do not mind it, Sarah, I replied, I do not at all feel ashamed.

Certainly theres nothing to be ashamed of, but its strange that you do not want to rise in the world. However, let us say no more about it.
Administrator

0 () 0

Mrs. Drummond came into the room, and greeted me kindly.

When can you come and have dinner with us, Jacob? Will you come on Wednesday?

O mamma! He cant come on Wednesday; we have company on that day.

So we have, my dear; I had forgotten it. But on Thursday we are quite alone; will you come on Thursday, Jacob?

I hesitated. It was clear that I could not sit at the same table with their guests because I was a waterman.

Yes, Jacob, said Sarah, coming to me, it must be Thursday, and you must come by all means. Although we have greater people on Wednesday their company will not be so pleasant to me as yours.

This decided me, and I promised to come. Mr. Drummond came in, and I handed to him Mr. Turnbulls cheque. He was very kind, but did not say anything except that he was glad that I had promised to dine with them on Thursday. The servant came in and announced the carriage at the door. I understood that it was time for me to leave. As Sarah was shaking hands with me, she said laughing:

We are sorry that we have kept you so long. You have probably lost many good fares already. Go down to your boat, pull off your coat, and make up for lost time! One of these days mamma and I intend to go on the river, so that you shall have two more fares who pay well.

I laughed and went away, but my pride was badly wounded. The sarcasm of Sarah was not lost upon me. Still there was so much kindness mixed with it that I could not be angry with her. On Thursday I went there, as agreed. They were quite alone, friendly and attentive. But still I felt ill at ease. After dinner Mr. Drummond said very little. He made me no more offers of a job, nor did he ask how I got on in the profession I had chosen. I was glad to leave early, and I did not feel any wish to repeat my visit.

And now, reader, you must allow two years to pass away before I continue my story. I shall tell you briefly of the events of that time.
Administrator

0 () 0

The Domine continued to teach his pupils and blow his nose. I seldom passed a Sunday without paying him a visit. Mr. Turnbull was always kind and friendly, but his health was rather poor the result of the accident on the ice. I saw little of the Drummonds. When we met they always treated me with kindness, but I never called on them. Sarah had grown into a very beautiful girl, and spent her time in the company of rich young men. Therefore the distance between us became still greater now, and I could not even think of visiting their house.

Stapleton continued to smoke his pipe and speak of human nature. Mary had grown into a beautiful woman, but was as light-minded as ever. Poor Tom Beazeley was hopelessly in love with her, and often came to their house. But she played with him and did not show that she cared for him at all.

Tom had returned me his debt. Old Toms board was up, and he had met with great success. All day long he was busy at work, repairing boats. I would often call there on my way up and down the river and pass a few hours, listening to his stories.

My own life was very much the same as before. One day was like another. I had very few friends and visited very few people. I again turned to my books during the long summer evening, when Mary walked out accompanied by Tom or other young men. Mr. Turnbulls library was at my service and I read much. Reading became a necessity with me, and I was seldom without a book in my hand. The books greatly improved my mind and gave me much knowledge. I was never happier then in the pages of history or among the flowers of poetry.

In this way two years had passed. Pass them, reader, and let us return to our story.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Administrator

0 () 0

CHAPTER VII

We Lose Our Fare, We Lose Our Boat, and We Lose Our Liberty

Jacob, said Tom to me one day, rowing his boat close to mine, do you remember that my apprenticeship is up tomorrow? How much more have you to serve?

About fifteen months, I answered.

Here we were interrupted.

I say, you watermen! Would you like a good fare? cried a man from the bank.

Where to, Sir?

Gravesend.

Thats a long way, replied Tom. Are you in a hurry, Sir?

Yes, in a great hurry. I shall lose my ship. How much will it be?

Two guineas, Sir.

Very well. Just come up to the inn here, and put in my luggage.

We brought down his luggage, put it into the boat, and started down the river.

The man was very talkative, and we soon found out that he was the masters mate of a big frigate. His ship lay off Gravesend ready to sail next day.

We were rowing fast, and in the afternoon were close to the frigate. A rope was thrown to us from the deck, and the mans luggage lifted out of the boat. At that moment the ships launch suddenly appeared, coming from the -shore at great speed. It struck our little boat, and Tom and I found ourselves in the water.

The seamen from the launch pulled us in, while our boat floated away half-sunk. As soon as we were on board the frigate we asked one of the officers to send the launch to pick up our boat.

Speak to the first lieutenant there he is, was the reply. I went up to the man.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Administrator

0 () 0

If you please, Sir

What do you want? he asked rudely.

Will you send the launch, Sir, to pick up our boat?

Pick it up yourself, said the first lieutenant, walking away.

But we shall lose our boat, Jacob, said Tom to me. After all, they have almost sunk it, and they must pick it up.

Tom then went up to the masters mate and asked him to help us.

Why didnt you take care of your boat when you saw the launch coming? he said.

How could we, when they were lifting your luggage out of the boat?

Very true. Well, Im very sorry for you, but I cannot help you. I have broken my leave6 and I dare not speak to the captain. And he walked away too.

Ill try again, said Tom, going up to the first lieutenant.

To lose our boat means to lose our bread to us, Sir;

At that moment the masters mate came up, who had not yet reported himself to the first lieutenant.

Come on board, Sir, said he, touching his hat.

You have broken your leave, Sir, replied the first lieutenant, and now I have to-send for the boys boat through your carelessness.

If you please, they are two very fine young men, said the mate, they will make good sailors. We neednt send for the boat.

The first lieutenant liked the hint.

Who are you, my lads? he asked.

Watermen, Sir.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Administrator

0 () 0

Watermen? Well, was that your own boat?

No, Sir, replied I, it belonged to the man for whom we work.

Oh! Not your own boat? Are you an apprentice, then?

Yes, Sir, we are both apprentices. Please, send for the boat, Sir. She is almost out of sight.

No, my lads. I cannot use the ships launch for such service.

Then we shall go ourselves, Tom, said I, going to the ships rail. There was a watermans boat close to the frigate. We were about to call the waterman when the first lieutenant cried out:

Stop stop not so fast! Where are you going?

To pick up our boat, Sir.

Without my permission?

We do not belong to the frigate, Sir.

But I think you will belong to it soon. Now how long have you to serve? said he addressing Tom.

My apprenticeship is up tomorrow, Sir.

Up tomorrow. Why, then, I shall detain you until tomorrow, and then I shall press you.

If you detain me now, Sir, I am pressed today during my apprenticeship.

Not at all, and Ill prove it to you, replied the lieutenant laughing, you dont belong to the ship until your name is written down in her books, and I shall not do so until tomorrow.

You will allow me to go, Sir, said I.

My idea was to make my own escape and then try to help Tom.

Nonsense! You both will stay here. The fact is, my lads, I like you both. I simply cannot part with you.

We shall lose our bread if you dont let us go, I said.

We shall find you bread here, although you may find it hard enough to earn it, the lieutenant said laughing. After all, we must have sailors, and get them as best we can.

And he went down to have his dinner.

Well Jacob, we are caught, said Tom.

Im afraid we are, replied I. The fellow who gave the lieutenant the hint said the frigate must sail tomorrow morning. There he is, let us speak to him.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:24 PM
Administrator

0 () 0

When does the frigate sail? Tom asked the masters mate who was walking on the deck.

My good fellow, men on board a war-ship must not ask officers such questions. Its quite enough for you to know that when the frigate sails you will sail in her.

Well, Sir, replied I, at least be so kind as to pay us our fare. We have lost our boat, and our freedom through you. At least, we want our two guineas.

So you want two guineas?

Yes, Sir, that was the fare you promised.

Why, I promised you two guineas as watermen. But now you belong to a war-ship.

But we do not belong to the ship.

Well, then you will belong to her tomorrow, perhaps.

Well, Sir, but when you hired us we were watermen, replied Tom.

Quite true. But when you came on board you were pressed and became war-ships men. And it had been your duty to row down one of your officers. And he walked away.

No go, Tom, said I, looking at my friend.

So it is. Im afraid, he replied.

We were given some food, and after we ate it, we managed to send letters to Mr. Drummond and Mr. Turnbull, as well as to Mary and old Tom. Then we walked about the deck looking for some place to sleep. Nobody took any notice of us. Nobody spoke to us. Most of the men on board had been pressed like us, and their thoughts were occupied with their present situation. The new seamen did not know each other and everyone thought only of himself and did not care for his neighbour.

At last we found a spare sail hidden between two guns, and thought that we could use it as a bed. We were very tired in mind and body and, lying down on the sail, were soon fast asleep.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Administrator

0 () 0

CHAPTER VIII

Our Captain Comes on Board. The First Months of Service on Board the Frigate

Early next morning we were awakened by the whistle of the boatswains pipe. A fair wind was blowing, and in half an hour we sailed off. All hands were on deck, working.

I think, Jacob, we may as well help, said Tom.

With all my heart, I replied, and we both started to pull the rope. The first lieutenant walked forward and recognized us.

Thats what I like, my lads, said he, you are not angry, and I shant forget it.

I hope you wont forget that we are apprentices, Sir, and allow us to go on shore, I replied.

Ive an awfully bad memory in some things, was his reply as he walked off.

We anchored near the shore on the following morning. It began to blow hard in the afternoon, and no boat could be sent to us from the shore for two days. On the third day the weather was better, and the signal came: Prepare to weigh, and send boat for captain.

In the meantime several boats came to the frigate, and one had a postman on board. I received letters from Mr. Drummond and Mr. Turnbull, telling me that they would go to the Admiralty and try to free us from the service. Another letter was from Mary, half of which was for me, and the rest to Tom. Tom had also a letter from his mother, half of which was dictated by his father.
Administrator

0 () 0

Shortly afterwards it was reported that the captain was coming. There were many new men in the frigate who had never seen the captain, so they were eager to look at the man in whose power it was to make them happy or miserable. I was on deck together with Tom when the boat arrived. I looked at the captain, and suddenly my attention was attracted by the face of the lieutenant sitting by his side. I immediately recognized Mr. Wilson, the officer who had sunk a boat on the Thames. I was very glad, as I hoped that he could help us now. The pipe of the boatswain sounded again as the captain came on deck. All hands were lined along the side of the ship. Now while the captain marched along the line of the sailors I had a chance of examining his appearance. He was a tall man with unusually broad shoulders which told of his great physical strength. He had a severe-looking face with piercing eyes and a large mouth, but his nose was handsome. When he smiled he showed a row of the most splendid teeth that I had ever seen. The captain stopped before the men and addressed them with the following speech:

My lads, we shall all sail in the same ship, therefore we should understand one another. I like to see my officers attentive to their duties, and I like to see my men well disciplined. What I like I will have you understand me. Now, just look in my face and see if you can play with me.

The men looked in his face and saw that there was no chance of playing with him. There was a moments silence, and then the captain smiled, showing his white teeth, and told the first lieutenant to pipe down. As soon as the scene was over, I walked up to Mr. Wilson, and greeted him.

Perhaps, Sir, I said, you do not remember me; but we met one night when you were sinking in a boat, and you asked my name.

And I remember it, my lad. It was Faithful, was it not?

Yes, Sir, and I then explained to him our situation and asked for his advice and help. He shook his head.

Our captain is a very hard man, said he, he cares for nothing except Admiralty orders. And only if such an order comes, he may allow you to leave the ship. However, I will speak to him, although he will probably be angry with me, because it is the business of the first lieutenant, and not mine.

But, Sir, what if you ask the first lieutenant to speak?

If I do, he will not, Im sure. We need men too much, and he will therefore say nothing until it is too late. However, Ill try, although I can give you very little hope.

Mr. Wilson went up to the captain, who was walking with the first lieutenant, and asked him to let us go, adding that he was acquainted with me.

Oh, if the man is your acquaintance, Mr. Wilson, we certainly must decide, replied the captain with sarcasm in his voice. Where is he?
Administrator

0 () 0

I came forward, and Tom followed me. We repeated what we wanted.

I always like to make things clear, said the captain, so now hear me; if I pressed one of the kings relations, and the king, the queen and all the little princesses went down on their knees, I would keep him until the Admiralty ordered me to let him go. Now, my lads, do you see your chance?

Then he turned away and walked off. Soon the hands were piped to dinner, and after dinner we weighed anchor and sailed off. In this way Tom and I began our military service against our will.

We were soon clear of the Channel, but nobody knew what our destination was. It was kept secret. However, we soon learned that we were to cruise for two months between the Western Isles and Madeira and look out for some privateers which had captured many of our merchant ships sailing for West India. After that period we were to join the admiral at Halifax.

The weather was good, and we were on deck all day long. The time was passed in training the men in the use of arms and in doing their duties about the ship. We were as active and quick as we could be, and the first lieutenant pointed us out to the captain. Tom was a great favourite among the men, always joking and ready for some trick. Besides, he could imitate the captains manner of speech, explaining to the men what he liked. One day we both did it, and though the captain heard everything, we were not punished. This is how it happened. One of the sailors fell overboard. The poor fellow could not swim, and Tom, turning to me, said:

Jacob, I should like to save that man, and immediately jumped overboard.

And I should like to help you, Tom, cried I, and followed him. The captain was close to us, and heard us both. Between us we held up the sailor, and soon a boat from the ship picked us up. When we came on deck, the captain was at the companion-ladder. He showed his white teeth, and shook his finger at us.

I heard you both, he said, and I should like to have many more brave fellows like you.

We continued our cruise, looking out for the privateers, but without success. The captain promised a reward to the man who should discover a ship in the open sea. Tom and I often climbed to the mast-head and kept watch there. We worked hard all day long, and only in the evening we had some free time to rest and play games. One of our favourite games was called Follow my leader. One of the men leads, and all who take part follow him, sometimes forty or fifty will join. Whatever the leader does, the rest must do also; wherever he goes they must follow. Tom, who was always the first in games, was one day the leader. He climbed up the highest mast, crossed from mast to mast several times, slid down by a rope and blacked his face with soot. About thirty men followed him, laughing. Suddenly a new idea came to Toms head. Crying out, Follow my leader, he jumped into the sea. I was second, and crying out, Follow my leader, to the rest, I followed him. The others did the same.