English language training forum

Go Back   English language training forum > English Teaching Forum > English language training

Old 01-28-2016, 12:46 AM
Administrator

() : 1
0 () 0

CHAPTER VI

The Drummonds Find out the Truth about Me. Mr. Turnbull Pays His Ladys Debts of Honour. Monsieur and Madame Tagliabue Leave England not Quite of Their Own Will.

I had just got into my boat next morning when I heard a voice I knew well:

Lifes like a summer day,

Warmed by a sunny ray.

Look out for Jacob, Tom! cried the old man, as the head of the lighter appeared from under Putney Bridge.

Here he is, father, shouted Tom who was standing forward.

I had pushed off as soon as I heard old Toms voice, and in a few moments jumped on the deck. Making my boat fast, I came up to old Tom, who seized my hand.

The heart warms when we meet you, my boy. Youre seldom out of our thoughts and always in our hearts.

I went forward and shook hands with Tom. Then together with his father we discussed all things of interest1 which had passed since our last meeting at old Stapletons.

And hows Mary? asked Tom. She is a fine lass, and I have thought of her more than once. Did she go on making fool of that poor old Domine?

I have had a few words with her about it, and she has promised to give him up, I replied, but, as her father says, in her its human nature.

Well, Jacob, somebody asked me how you got on.

Indeed!

Yes, there are two women they sent for me, and I have been to a rich house. Do you guess now?

Yes, I answered gloomily, You mean Mrs. Drummond and Sarah.

Exactly.

Tom told me that Mrs. Drummond had asked a great many questions about me. She said they hoped I would call and see her and Sarah some day. Mrs. Drummond then left the room, and Tom was alone with Sarah. She told him that her father had found out I had not been wrong, and then turned out the clerk.

And then, said Tom, Miss Sarah told me to say from herself that she had been very unhappy since you had left them, but she hopes that you will forgive them and come back to them. She told me to give you her love, and asked me to call when next time we go up the river, for she wants to send you something. So you see, Jacob, that you are not forgotten.

Yes, I replied, but they have thought of me too late, so lets say no more about it. Im quite happy as I am.

On the next Sunday I decided to go and see Captain Turnbull whom I had not seen for a long time. So in the afternoon of the same day I walked to his house near Brentford. I rang at the gate and asked if he was at home.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:46 AM
Administrator

0 () 0

Yes, Sir, replied the old woman who opened the gate, and the missus is at home too.

I walked up the path which led to the front door, and when I rang it was opened by a servant I had not seen before.

Where is Mr. Turnbull? I asked.

He is in his own room, Sir, replied the man, but you must send up your name, if you please.

I gave my name; the man left me at the door, and soon returned asking me to follow him. I must say that I was rather surprised. Where was Mr. Mortimer? Where were the other old servants of the captain? These thoughts were passing through my mind as I was going upstairs. I entered Mr. Turnbulfs room his cabin as he called it. There were two small shelves of books in the room, two models of the ships which had belonged to his brother and himself; the captains favourite harpoons were hung on the wall, and several bears skins, brown and white, lay on the floor.

The room was a sort of museum full of different things which the captain had collected during his voyages. The furniture consisted of two sofas, a large table in the centre of the room, and three or four heavy chairs.

Captain Turnbull was not yet quite dressed because he was not very well. He looked upset and pale.

My dear Jacob, this is very kind of you. And I was angry with you for not coming before. I am so glad to see you. Why have you kept away so long?

I have been too busy. Stapleton has given me up the boat, and I had to think of his interests, if not of my own.

Always right, boy. How are you getting on?

I am very happy, Sir, very happy, indeed.

Im glad to hear it, Jacob. Now, take the other sofa, and lets have a talk. I have something to tell you. I suppose youve noticed a change.

Yes, Sir, I noticed that Mr. Mortimer was not here.

Exactly. Well, Mr. Mortimer, or John Snobbs, is at present in Newgate, and I mean to send him out on a voyage for the good of his health. I caught the scoundrel at last. But thats not all. There was a regular plot: they wanted to take the ship from me. But I have found them out. Jacob, dear boy, believe me: money is too often a curse.

Youll not find many of your opinion, Sir, I replied laughing.

Perhaps not. But now I will just tell you what has happened since I last saw you.

Heres Captain Turnbulls story which took him three hours to tell. I shall retell it in short. It appeared that Mrs. Turnbull often left the house for long drives, and the number of her friends grew as well as her expenses. Once Mr. Turnbull found out by chance that the money he gave her to pay her bills were spent on other things. They had a quarrel, and he insisted on her telling him the truth. The next morning she brought him the unpaid bills all to the sum of six hundred pounds.

Now, Mrs. Turnbull, the captain said, will you please tell me what you have done with this six hundred pounds?
Old 01-28-2016, 12:47 AM
Administrator

0 () 0

Mrs. Turnbull went into hysterics, and all day long lay on the sofa expecting that her husband would calm her. But he quietly went to bed without looking at her.

He rose early next morning, and saw from his window a cart near the garden wall. The men who came with it jumped over the wall, entered the house, and returned carrying two large baskets. He seized one of his harpoons, walked out the other way, and came up to the cart just as they were about to drive off. They whipped the horse, and the captain was nearly run over. He then let fly the harpoon into the horse, which fell on the ground. After that he knocked down the two men, and called the police. The baskets were examined, and the captains best wine and some other things from his house were found in them. It turned out that all this had been arranged by the butler, Mr. Mortimer. Mr. Turnbull returned to the house, and gave Mr. Mortimer over to the police. Then the captain sent for the other servants, paid them, and dismissed them. All that was done within an hour. When Mrs. Turnbull woke up she did not find anyone to wait on her, except her own maid. There were more tears and threats. At last she locked herself up in her room, and did not come out the whole day.

In the meantime the news flew in every direction. Brentford was full of it. Mr. Turnbull was ruined! He had let go all his servants and was selling his things!

The next morning Mr. Turnbull hired some new servants, and was just finishing his breakfast when Monsieur Tagliabue was announced.

Ah! Monsieur Turnbull, I hope Madame is better. Madame Tagliabue cried all last night when she heard the bad news about the debt and all that.

Very much obliged to Madame, replied Turnbull coldly, and now, Sir, what can I do for you?

Ah! Monsieur Turnbull, I feel very much for you. But the most important thing for a gentleman is his honour (Mr. Turnbull looked at him in surprise). If a gentleman owes money to a shopman and does not pay him, that is no great matter. But he must always pay a debt of honour. Here (and the little Frenchman pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket) is a little note of Madame Turnbull, which she gave to Madame Tagliabue as a promise to pay two hundred pounds of money which she had lost to her at cards. You see, Ive come to settle this little debt of honour.

And Monsieur Tagliabue laid the note on the table with a very polite bow. Mr. Turnbull examined the note. So, thought he, now the whole story is out.

Monsieur Tagliabue, said he, allow me to put a question or two before I pay this money. I think Mrs. Turnbull has already lost about six hundred pounds at cards before?
Administrator

0 () 0

Monsieur Tagliabue nodded.

And I think, the captain continued, that two months ago she never knew how to play cards at all.

That is true, but the ladies are very quick to learn.

Well then, she knew nothing about the game, and you and your wife play it very well. Was it honest of you to allow her to lose so much money?

Ah! Monsieur, when a lady says she will play, what can you do?

But why did you never play at this house, Monsieur Tagliabue?

Ah! Monsieur Turnbull, the lady of the house must propose the game.

Very true, replied Mr. Turnbull, writing a cheque, theres your money. And now that you are paid, let me tell you that you and your wife are swindlers. You must never enter my doors again.

What do you say, Sir? Swindlers? Sir, I will have satisfaction.

Youve got your money isnt that enough? Do you want anything else? Mr. Turnbull replied, rising from his chair.

Yes, Sir, I want more I will have more.

So you shall, then, replied the captain, kicking him out of the room, and out of the front door.

When the man was out of the house he turned round.

Monsieur Turnbull, I will have satisfaction for this. You shall pay!

That evening Mr. Turnbull was called to appear in the court of law. He met Monsieur Tagliabue and his lawyer, and acknowledged that he had kicked him out of his house for swindling his wife. The little Frenchman stormed and shouted that he had friends among the aristocrats.

Who are you? asked the judge, who had seen many foreigners of this sort.

Sir, I am a gentleman.

What is your profession, Sir?

Sir, a gentleman has no profession.

But how do you live, Monsieur Tagliabue?

As a gentleman always does, Sir.

You mentioned Lord Scrope just now as your close friend, I think.

Yes, Sir. I am a close friend of Lord Scrope. We spent three months at Scrope Castle with my lady Scrope. She is very fond of. Madame Tagliabue.

Very well, Monsieur Tagliabue. We have to interrupt the hearing of your case, for I must clear up a few things connected with another case. Please, sit down, Mr. Tagliabue, and wait for a little while. Another case was then heard, but in the meantime the judge sent his man with a note to Lord Scrope. In half an hour the answer was brought back. The judge read it, and smiled. When the other case was finished, he turned to the Frenchman and said:

Now, Mr. Tagliabue, you have said that you were a close friend of Lord Scrope?

Yes, Sir, a close friend.

Well, I have the pleasure of knowing Lord Scrope. I wrote a note to him, and here is his answer. I will read it.
Administrator

0 () 0

Monsieur Tagliabue turned pale as the judge read the following:

Dear Sir,

The fellow you mention was once my servant. I turned him out for dishonesty. When he left, Lady Scropes maid, who was secretly married to him, left also. Soon I discovered that those two people had stolen a number of things from my house. I wanted to give them over to the police, but I could not find them. Now the whole thing is forgotten, but a greater scoundrel never lived.

Yours, Scrope.

Now, Sir what have you to say for yourself? continued the judge in a severe tone. Tagliabue fell on his knees, begged for mercy from the judge, and held the cheque for 200 pounds back to Mr. Turnbull. The judge, seeing that the captain did not take it, said to him:

Take your money back again, Mr. Turnbull. He is a dishonest man. Its quite enough that you have lost the other 600 pounds.

Mr. Turnbull then took the cheque and tore it in pieces. The judge ordered Monsieur Tagliabue and his wife to be sent back to France. This was the end of the episode with Monsieur Tagliabue.