PDA

View Full Version : English language gaps you stumble on or totter within owing to the lack of ...

ALEKSO
08-14-2009, 04:56 PM
English language gaps you stumble on or totter within owing to the lack of practice. All of us do run into gridlocks sometimes...

Okay, let's face the clear & present truth, boys & girls - however educated and earnest, we do have & stumble upon our gaps in foreign language as we'd rather keep numb than come to tottering in English should that "flaw" come across your verbal speech...
What are these with you, will ya share?:-)

ALEKSO
08-14-2009, 04:58 PM
My very troublesome and not less shameful gap in English has long been (who might've thought!) the sequence of tenses within one certain & compex sentence! Given the "sequence" isn't always required in thecouldn't-care-less US of Ait won't be the pardonable case in the law-obedient UK I traveled once. So that's my "weed" I still stumble upon yet workin' on to unroot.*-)

imgek
08-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Everything that differs from the Russian language raises difficulties from time to time. These are such things as perfect tenses, the sequence of tenses, articles, gerunds etc.

Extra
08-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Boris, can you give an example?

ALEKSO
08-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Naw, Alex, hardly did I get at total language illiteracy in my previos post for there weretoo many things you mentioned in yours that might as well adhere to a basic knowledge. Let's get it all clear-cut: when you feel you're more or less fluent and you twitter English in a breeze inside of, say, negotiations, phone talk to your overseas friend, everyday speech - sooner or later there comes an annoying moment when it goes... oopppss!..."I seem to be running outta that vital word and cannot immediately find neither suitable synonym nor phrasal verb to make it all understood!" What exactly should we do in this troublesome case to find a quick walkaround & tackle that annoying speech stall seamlessly? Have we ever been mastering the art of mending our speech flow just off-hand, on-the-fly?:-)

imgek
08-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Boris, I don't think I am more or less fluent. Moreover, I am not fluent at all. :-DEven writing these short messages in forums takes me some time for thinking over the way to express my thoughts in English.